Songs (Click the -icons
for some small realaudio-samples)
du Midi (opening scene)
2. Diner Delon (restaurant muzak)
3. Contro (main theme)
4. Sons of Grey (trash concert scene)
5. Ocean (pacifique) (hotel chill-out scene)
6. Transport (café jukebox scene)
7. Traum A (Luzie's mobile dream)
8. Convertible Chaos ("dizzy" rave)
9. Lime tree, naked (on the road)
10. Marée noire (unused)
11. Stoemp + worst (unused restaurant, not enough muzak)
12. Lift (introspective scene)
13. Mondeling (parlophone scene)
14. Ni café ni hôpital (unused spiral driving scene)
15. Puces au marché (unused broken guitar scene combined with clochard
16. Converted chaos (unused)
17. Ocean (basique) (unused original 1995 4-track first take)
18. Waves of grey (unused pathos)
19. La piscine (unused after party scene)
Songs : Daan Stuyven (& Shubert)
- Daan (drums, filterbank, upright piano, realistic moog, samples, hagström
bass, electric guitars, soundcanvas, vocals, toy xylophone, phillicorda organ,
phonorgan, lapsteel, plastic bag, van lier dead saxophone, sonette, e-bow, bath
splashes) and also :
- Amid Chakir, Senne Roefaer, Stephanie Bodien, Stefan Perceval, Kristel Dotremont,
Jean-Yves Izquierdo, Gilbert Magotteaux, Robbie Cleiren (statements, voices, dialogs,
- Wouter van Belle (strings, acoustic guitar)
- Guy Van Nueten (vox contentinental & hammond organs)
- Herman Gillis (chaosbank)
Artwork : Daan
Cover Photo : Michel Baudour
A new album by Daan! After the last solo-effort of the man, Profools,
this is something worth looking out for. Unfortunately, "Verboden te zuchten"
is not this sequel.
The disc at hand is one from the subspecies "soundtracks". And even
though Daan wouldn't be quite Daan if he wouldn't colour outside the lines of
the genre - in this case by including a number of tracks that were never used
in the film and pieces of music that were the embryo's of the tracks that ended
up in the film - "Verboden te zuchten" as a standalone cd has most of
the disadvantages of a film soundtrack.
As there are : swinging moods that possibly have a function in the movie, but
that standalone seem somewhat pointless; a fragmentary nature or abrupt stops
to a number of tracks; a number of tracks which carry dialogue from the film,
contrasting to the atmosphere the music is building; And the non-understanding
of those that haven't seen the movie, which in the case of this film by Alex Stockman
is a whole lot of people, as finding a theater that has it on the programme is
about as difficult as finding out how the people of Florida really voted.
With a bit of creative use of the program-function of your cd-player, you can
however assemble a fine, albeit rather short, album. "Convertible Chaos"
is a track that was already on "Profools" (shouldn't you know that album,
shame on you), and is - through the use of Filterbanks, Wouter Van Belle and Guy
van Nueten also the most "produced" track on de cd. The rest of the
songs are almost exclusively Daan in solo-guise, on a amazing array of instruments
and other things that produce sound. "Contro" is the not very
uplifting but sticky movie-theme and resounds - as movie-theme's tend to do since
mr. E. Morricone - through on a number of the other tracks. "Ocean Pacifique"
has a naïeve and sweet melody, and "Transport" has a nice atmosphere
to it. The next tracks are somewhat less coherent, but "Ocean (basique)"
- the original version to earlier mentioned "Ocean (Pacifique)" - and
"Waves of Grey" close down the joint in dignified style.
Verboden te zuchten means "forbidden to sigh" in Dutch, but I hope it's
still allowed to moan "Pfff, is this there is to it"? But then you listen
to it again, and again ... and you're still in awe for how Daan managed yet again
to have such effect with apparently minimal effort.
And your opinion?
Did I get it all wrong, or was I spot-on ? Do you want to share your opinion about
this cd ? Send it in, and I'll put it up here !
The lowest price is in yellow, the highest in red. This price comparison doesn't
take things into account like deduction of shipping expenses when ordering more
than 1 cd, bonus points, differences in guarantees ... Shipping prices are those
for customers in Belgium.
Have you seen this record elsewhere on the net, do you own an online-CD-shop
with Belgian products in it, or if there's something wrong with my calculations
: let me know.
Watch it : This site pays royalties, and was built and maintained in
accordance with the terms and conditions negotiated with SABAM,
the Belgian society of copyright-holders. Consultation of this site is free, but
this exludes downloading, reproducing or public performance of any part of this
site. Please do not copy. Link!